The exhibitions also extend to the public toilets where the hand basin would be considered an instillation in its own right.
Heading away from a very relaxed wonder through MACRO we choose a local cafe for lunch and watch with pleasure as it fills with locals on there lunch break. The venue has a real buzz to it and we dally as long as we can before again facing Rome's public transport.
We plan to spend the afternoon visiting one of the Catacombs along the Appian Way and take the Archeobus to our destination. We are the only passengers so sit right at the back of the open top bus and enjoy a great view as we travel through the city and then out on to the Appian Way flanked by the beautiful parkland with its ancient buildings and villas.
The Catacomb of St Sebastian is dedicated to a martyr the Roman Soldier Sebastian who was executed for spreading the word of Christianity amongst soldiers. He survived six arrows to his body and was then flogged to death with a stick.
Mum was initially keen to enter the catacomb but decided against it after we descended the step entrance stairs and entered the first of the small underground tunnels. After Mum returned to daylight I continued with the small group and found the experience fascinating. This catacomb was honoured with the bones of St Peter and St Paul for a short period of unrest in Rome before their remains were returned to their respective Basilicas sometime in the second century (I think).
While I was wondering around in the dark a few metres underground, Mum sat waiting and happily chatted to a trio of young students who were staying in Rome for three months.
On our way home I insisted we stop at the Stazione Termini where I overdosed on a bowl of pasta.
No comments:
Post a Comment