Friday, April 13, 2012

Foodies Friday - 13 April

Because we hadn't experienced enough Italian food on our trip and we were gluttons for punishment, we booked in for a cooking lesson joining 13 Americans and 2 English. 
Our lesson began at the Central Market where we were treated to a range of taste delights including Truffle flavoured honey on a slice of Pecorino cheese and 30 year old oak barrel balsamic vinegar poured over slices of the Tuscan's unsalted bread.  It was the first time that either Mum or I had the pleasure of tasting a truffle and it wasn't as bad as I imagined.

After long discussions centred around meat cuts and offal we walked to the cooking school work space.

We made three dishes which included a Tiramisu, hand made pasta made into lengths of linguini covered in a meat sauce and ricotta cheese ravioli in butter and sage sauce. We were also treated to the chef's favourite Bruschetta.

Can't you see Mum telling that man that she knows what she is doing as she has been cooking for 30 years














We enjoyed slaving over the rolling pin making the pasta and then shared the meal with our fellow students washed down with a good Chianti red.
What happens at Italian Cooking School stays at the Italian Cooking School, hey Mum!
Inspired by today's delicious fare with fresh ingredients, for dinner I made pumpkin risotto, steamed asparagus and my version of bruschetta using some of the chef's techniques.  I am certainly keen to make pasta again when I get home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Dingopups Blog

Dingopups is the Foster families blog. Here you can see what our interests are and what we like to do with our time.

One of our current activities is traveling on a holiday in Italy and the UK.