Monday 16 April - Having arrived in Rome by fast train and in good time we settled into our boutique hotel and have a lovely room with lots of pictures of male statues. I slipped over to the Villa Barbarini where I checked out Raphael and Caravaggio while Mum took a little afternoon nap.
Today, Tuesday 17 April, we decided upon a different course of tourism. Instead of visiting the ancient cultural areas of Rome we decided on a trip to the Burbs (suburbs) our destination the IKEA store. Here we discovered all the fat and daggy people that live in the city. A discovery made only because while trying to get to the Rome IKEA store, I once again put us on public bus that took us in the opposite direction to our original destination. It is certainly the cheapest way to see a country. It only cost us 1 Euro each and we got an intimate tour of some suburb somewhere in Rome for about an hour. Eventually we took a taxi the 1 mile to IKEA and dug into meatballs and mash potato. After wondering the store and discovering that it is exactly the same as the Australian version only with Italian instructions, we eventually made our way back into central Rome.
Tonight, I am due to join the 'Dark Rome' tour and will spend an hour and a half wondering the city streets listening to scary stories.


No comments:
Post a Comment