
We must be in holiday mode as we slept in and it took us some time to get on the road to York. However, we eventually arrived and settled into our van park which was within easy walking distance of the walled city centre. It took us a while to understand the appeal of York as it initially appeared to be an overcrowded filthy town but we eventually found the Shambles area and its appeal grew on us. We took a bus ride around the city walls, a boat ride on the River Ouse, went to the movies twice, gazed upon Nordic and Roman artifacts at the museum and had a Sunday carvery lunch in a building that was 800 years old. The shopping districts window dressings were exquisite and I took plenty of photos where I could.
The best visit that we had in York was to the National Railway Museum. The museum is exceptionally impressive and that comment is coming from someone who doesn’t enjoy gazing at steam engines! It must be a mecca for train lovers world wide.One of the movies that we got to see was a British production about a Morris Dancer. It was quite funny and had us in tears of laughter. The visit to the cinema (twice) also introduced us to a cinema culture where you are allocated seats. When we arrived for the first movie I was not impressed with our seats and asked the lady sitting next to me if it was permissible to move if there were vacant seats. She was adamant that I should remain where I was as that sort of behavior was frowned upon. I wondered if this was common practice in the bigger cinemas as it must be difficult when you have hundreds to be seated. Perhaps it was a Yorkism.

No comments:
Post a Comment