
We started the day visiting another of Britain’s great houses Castle Howard. This was another Baroque style home that wasn’t fully completed for 100 years. 

A
gain opulence but the house fell victim to a fire in the 1940’s that took out a whole wing and apparently the classic dome was also greatly damaged. The dome has been reinstated but work continues and there are a number of rooms that still have incomplete ceilings and none of the original decorations. The garden was pretty but not a Capability Brown creation and I confess I know understand the appeal of Brown landscapes. Though built to demonstrate the power of the family the garden was not quite up to the mark.
We didn’t get far down the road after Castle Howard before we pulled into Eden Camp which was a prisoner of war (WWII) facility and now a museum. Ron wondered the extensive museum while I poked around in the MH for an hour or so.
The rest of the day was spent sorting out the larder and traveling across the North Yorkshire Moors toward Whitby. We noticed that there is a RAF Base on the moor and were soon treated to the thrill of a jet flying directly over the moors just a short distance away from our MH. We also managed our first view of the North Sea. Eventually arriving at our van park for the night, I was immediately in trouble as the park does not have toilets or showers. Good thing we have such things with us in the MH.
gain opulence but the house fell victim to a fire in the 1940’s that took out a whole wing and apparently the classic dome was also greatly damaged. The dome has been reinstated but work continues and there are a number of rooms that still have incomplete ceilings and none of the original decorations. The garden was pretty but not a Capability Brown creation and I confess I know understand the appeal of Brown landscapes. Though built to demonstrate the power of the family the garden was not quite up to the mark.We didn’t get far down the road after Castle Howard before we pulled into Eden Camp which was a prisoner of war (WWII) facility and now a museum. Ron wondered the extensive museum while I poked around in the MH for an hour or so.
The rest of the day was spent sorting out the larder and traveling across the North Yorkshire Moors toward Whitby. We noticed that there is a RAF Base on the moor and were soon treated to the thrill of a jet flying directly over the moors just a short distance away from our MH. We also managed our first view of the North Sea. Eventually arriving at our van park for the night, I was immediately in trouble as the park does not have toilets or showers. Good thing we have such things with us in the MH.
No comments:
Post a Comment