I don’t think that Ron and I have quite found our holiday
rhythm yet. I think in part it is due to
our exhaustion trying to fit into a new time zone and jet lag seems to have
taken its toll. Of all the places we
first visit it would have to be the theme capital city of the world. Ron and I
agreed tonight that we were not quite ‘Vegas’ people. No doubt if we were to spend longer here
other interesting parts of this city would reveal themselves but so far it has
been the ‘over the top’ casino scene that has dominated. It puts Jupiters in
the category of a non-event.
Please don’t feel that I am being negative about Vegas as it
has its charm. For example, our first
exposure to Americans has been particularly pleasant and rewarding. They are extremely polite and happy to talk
at length of their desire to visit Australia if only it wasn’t “so
expensive” and if only they received more than “1.5 weeks leave a year”. We also had a terrific experience attending a
Cirque du Soliel show.
We did put some money down on a couple of the many and
varied gaming tables on offer to the punter, but having had no luck we lost
interest quickly.
I am so glad that I chose Caesar’s Palace as our venue for
accommodation. Each day that we walk
through the labyrinth of a complex we discover new rooms, restaurants, entertainment
and eccentric people. Just last night we
happened upon the pole dancers distracting a set of punters at about six gaming
tables (who would have guessed). Some of
you would have seen the photo of the beautifully dressed dog pushed in a doggy
stroller by her owner in the Augustus
Tower lobby, which I
posted to facebook. Can’t say that I see that everyday. Our hotel room is
spectacular and spacious with a view across to the Bellagio and down to the Paris. In keeping with
the ‘roman’ theme, we have a marble bathroom with a generous spa bath.
The hotels in Vegas are gargantuan themed resort complexes
with their own unique spin on entertainment.
We overheard someone talking today about their visit to the white tigers
living at the back of the Mirage Hotel complex.
Apparently they are the remaining animals from the Siegfried and Roy
show following the unfortunate mauling of Siegfried or Roy (don’t remember
which) and subsequent closure of their famous show. The Mirage also has the spectacular ‘Erupting
Volcano’ on the hour every hour. The Bellagio has the beautifully choreographed
water jets put to music on the hour every hour.
The Venetian has singing gondola drivers belting out a tune as they paddle
the paying tourists along a narrow ‘canal’ under a fake sky and fake streets of
Venice. From
our hotel window I can see the Eiffel
Tower. Today we drove past the Luxor which has the glass pyramid and Sphinx. I have come to the conclusion that you can
just about do anything and make anything with concrete.
It has been hard to avoid the high calorie contents and
portions of ‘American’ food. It has been
a challenge to source good nutritious food.
I was not a fan of the ‘fried’ broccoli on offer at the expensive and
famous Caesar’s Palace’s ‘all you can eat buffet’. Ron calculated the buffet
serving area to be at least 50 metres long.
We also discovered the spray cans of cheese at a supermarket.
The weather has been extremely cold and already I am getting
sick of putting on an outer coat then taking it off again as we move from the
sweltering hot buildings to the near freezing outdoor environment. My skin is like parchment and serves to
remind me that living in a cold climate is not all that it is cut out to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment